DIVORCE





D I V O R C E


The first time I left

I came back and they were calm.

The normal hellos and what's up dad

Like the affairs that kept me out

Were those of readings and book fairs

I felt the same, didn't I?


But my boat did not came back
To stay the night


And then the grabbing and the throwing
And then the wraping and the folding

And there was me
Putting myself inside the boxes
Oh they noticed that

Questions were asked

Hearts were uncertain

And the boxes remained there a couple of days

So they could play around
And spy a little

Into their father’s mess
Done
A month later I came to chat

We played and they all jumped around
Gathered and said they missed me so

It came though
Summers' higher point

Vacations by the other side of the coast

And haircuts redefined

As haircuts always do

All things in people's heads


I came to see them by the couch

My presence, you know...

Kids will be kids

Besides the different set of keys

It seemed no different

From the first absence of mine
It was the third month
Then I casually only turned my head and saw

What once I wish I could've done

Was finally fixed

That rutless chill

Inside my spine

Given my picture on the wall

Was there no more.

É.S. 

















ÉRIQ SÁÑEZ (É.S.) is a poet and fiction writer with Literature and Creative Writing studies. He won a national short fiction award in 2010. Poems and short stories of him can be found online. His debut book (Julio Torri National Short Fiction Award 2014) named La Novela Zombi (The Zombie Novel) Conaculta, 2015, is now available.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rulo's World/ ALL I'VE EVER WANTED

YO NO VINE A HACER AMIGOS

RULO'S WORLD 25/6/22